Sunday, October 25, 2009

Yard Cleanup

I really like Fall, how it gets colder outside, how the leaves change color, and that Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are that much closer. What I do not like about Fall is having to clean up my yard.

When I want to clean up the leaf debris outside, I can't just let all the kids out of the house....I have to get their boots, warm coats, hats, and gloves on and hope they stay bundled up. Once I get them all outside I have to hurry to rake up all the wonderful leaves into piles while trying to keep Damon and Joel from running through the piles (for some reason they love to obliterate my leaf piles). Usually the kids don't last long, and they get bored and want to go back inside the house. The other day I got lucky though.

Damon grabbed the spray gun for the pressure washer and imagined it to be his giant hunting rifle.  He ran around the yard "hunting big game" which means he imagined that all moving things were his target (Tank, Rocco, Joel, Olivia, me, planes in the sky, and overhead birds). 
(Damon with his "hunting rifle").
At one point he tip toed over towards me, made a shooting sound, and then told me that I was an elk and that he shot my leg so I was supposed to hop around on one foot. He then de
monstrated the wounded elk walk....it was funny. So I hopped around for a little bit while raking up my leaves.

Joel managed to run through a pile of leaves before I could get them in the garbage can, and he spread them everywhere. I told him to help clean up the pile and handed him a rake. I think he was more than happy to rake up the leaf pile he destroyed.

Olivia kept finding leaves to show me....mostly the ones that weren't all dead and brown. Then she brought me some acorns and those things that come from Oak trees that crunch when you step on them ( I tell Damon they're "oak poppers").

Of course by the time I was finished raking and disposing of all the leaves in the backyard, Damon was harassing Olivia and Joel, Joel was getting annoyed with Damon, and Olivia just wanted to go inside, as displayed by her crying at the back door and taking off her boots.

1 comment:

jakenapril said...

wow! what an adventure. a busy, entertaining, funny adventure.
glad you survived.